White Papers and Articles
Preparing for Your Single Audit: Uniform Guidance for Federal Awards
Single audits are complex engagements with a number of unusual audit requirements. The single audit process always runs more smoothly when auditees have an understanding of the audit process and are prepared for it. McConnell...Read more
- Taking Credit: Understanding Available Employment Tax Credits
Understanding Available Employment Tax Credits Our nation's unemployment rate hovers at nine percent and monthly job losses continue to rise. That has generated discussions in Washington about innovative fiscal policy instruments, such as job creation...Read more
- What Happens When the First AND Second String Quarterbacks are Injured?
Those of us in Houston are acutely aware of what happens to a team when injuries occur to the first or even second string quarterbacks. We are proud of the Texans who happen to have a...Read more
- What You Need to Know about the Small Business Health Care Tax Credit
How will the credit make a difference for you? For tax years 2010 through 2013, the maximum credit is 35 percent for small business employers and 25 percent for small tax-exempt employers such as charities....Read more
- Size Still Matters: Why the SBA needs to redefine “small” business.
Each year the federal government purchases products and services totaling close to $500 billion, nearly $98 billion of them from small businesses. Congress requires federal agencies to award 23 percent of their contracts to small...Read more
- Back Taxes-What Do You Do?
You've had a great day. Everything went right at work. You finally landed that new account you've been chasing, and you found $20 in an old pair of pants. Things have certainly gone your way;...Read more
- IRS and DOL Implement Joint Initiative
A Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) was issued between the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the United States Department of Labor (DOL) to implement a joint initiative to improve compliance with laws and regulations administered by...Read more
- Accounting Practices for Successful Fundraising Events for Nonprofit Organizations
Helpful links compiled by panelists and included on the event handout from the McConnell & Jones 2011 Roundtable.Handout_MJ-Nonprofit-RoundtableRead more
- Minimizine Taxes on Your Investment Income
Part One If you watch television, surf the Internet, listen to the radio or read any news publication, you've heard a lot about income taxes. Say what you will, but every American has a stake...Read more
- Corporate Executive Compensation: Is Your Firm In Compliance?
Executive compensation has evolved dramatically in recent years, in creativity, complexity, and dollar value. Stock options, deferred compensation, fringe benefits, and other "non-cash" alternative forms of compensation are becoming increasingly popular and making up larger...Read more
- Nine Tips for Taxpayers Who Owe Money to the IRS
Did you end up owing taxes this year? The vast majority of Americans get a tax refund from the IRS each spring, but those who receive a bill may not know that the IRS has...Read more
- Protect Your Business Against Fraud
By some accounts, fraud costs the U.S. economy approximately $600 billion a year. As a business owner, you have a duty to yourself and to your employees to minimize losses to your company due to...Read more
- The Tax ‘Top Ten’ List…Mistakes That Cost Money
With the arrival of 1099s and W-2s from your employer, banks and others, it’s time to get down to the business of filing your income tax return. While technology has certainly eased the burden of...Read more
- Forming an Organization: Setting Up Your Company Correctly
A Word to the Moneywise... Starting a new business can be a harrowing experience, whether it’s a full time or part time venture. Tax planning must be part of your basic strategy. Many of the...Read more
- Resources For Audit Committees: The AICPA Audit Committee Toolkit for Not-for-Profit Organizations
Audit committees can take advantage of the Internet and find a wealth of resources to assist them in discharging their responsibilities. This Tool provides an overview of organizations and Web sites that contain topical resources...Read more
- Bookkeeping and Tax Issues Important to Nonprofit Organizations
On August 12th McConnell & Jones LLP hosted a nonprofit seminar with GrowthForce LLC to discuss ways for nonprofit organizations to improve bookkeeping and accounting processes through the utilization of QuickBooks. Also, our tax experts discussed...Read more
- Does Your Employee Benefit Plan Need a NEW Auditor?
A quality audit will help protect the assets and the financial integrity of your employee benefit plan and ensure that the necessary funds will be available to pay retirement, health, and other promised benefits to...Read more
- Using Tax Deductions To Minimize Your Business Taxes
One of the largest hurdles faced by business owners is staying on top of the numerous obligations to federal and state tax agencies. The Internal Revenue Service offers business owners a fair number of business...Read more
- Recovery Resource Guide for Hurricane Ike
In the wake of Hurricane Ike, many people are faced with concerns about the fiscal impact that this devastating disaster will play in their personal and business financial affairs. McConnell & Jones has prepared a...Read more
- Is Your 403(b) Plan Ready?
Last summer the IRS issued new 403(b) regulations—these are the first changes that 403(b) plans have seen in more than 40 years. Is your plan ready for the scrutiny? Is-Your-403(b)-Plan-ReadyRead more
- Welcome to the New Age of 403(b) Plans: Do You Know What Challenges Face Your Organization?
The IRS's new rules bring 403(b) plans closer to the standards set for typical 401(k) plans and result in significant changes for tax exempt organizations and their employees. Welcome to the New Age of 403(b)...Read more
- Is Your Business At Risk? Simple Strategies to Manage Risk Throughout Your Firm’s Purchasing Process
It's common knowledge that risk management is an operational cornerstone of the "big guys," but what about the small businesses? Why should you care about risk management strategies? Most small businesses are unpredictable. Mitigating Risk...Read more
- Considering a Change? Strategies For Owners Selling Their Business
Almost every business owner or successful entrepreneur comes to the decision point of selling their business and turning their risk and responsibilities to someone else. Strategies for Owners Selling Their BusinessRead more
- Becoming Successful Takes Hard Work…Staying Successful Takes Planning
It used to be that if you had a good product and provided solid customer service, you could pretty much count on being successful Success takes hard work_MJLM Wealth SolutionsRead more
- Using Life Insurance to Meet Business and Personal Objectives…An Affordable,Tax-efficient, And Often Overlooked Financial Strategy
As the owner of a business or professional practice, you know better than anyone that running your business seldom leaves you enough time to "take care of business" by addressing important financial planning questions such...Read more
- Taking Credit: Understanding Available Employment Tax Credits